Levant II was a trawler built in 1904 which was later used by Easter Telegraph Company as a cable layer. The Levant II upheld it’s cable laying duties combining Malta to Sicily, Libya and Alexandria after World War II. After more or less 48 years of running, the Levant II was quite damaged, so it was decided that it would be scrapped about 3 miles out from Valletta.
Moreover, as it was being towed towards the spoil ground, she started taking in water and didn’t make it out enough to be scuttled there. So it now lies in 59 metre deep water about 1.5 kilometers off of the Grand Harbour Entrance.
The Levant II was rediscovered, by local divers. This was in the year 1999. It was simply known as the Cable Ship or Cable Layer till a photo of it surfaced on the internet which then conveyed the truth of it’s name.
The wreck itself is at a length of 42 metres and is pretty much unscathed. While diving this wreck one can see the name Brown and Co along with the date 1911.
This wreck is quite difficult to get to since it lies under incoming and outgoing traffic from the Grand Harbour Port. On another note, only very experienced technical divers can dive this wreck since it lies in fairly deep waters.